Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Writers Week 2013

First of all, thank you for the kind comments and messages about my cousin, Danny. It was a rough weekend, but it gets a little easier each day. Talking and texting with my family over the last few days helped, as did the distraction of a busy weekend and a busier week of school. Life marches forward, and we carry the loved and lost in our hearts. 

<3

Speaking of busy (because segueing to the rest of this post feels strange no matter how I phrase it) we're in the midst of UNCW's annual Writers Week. I missed most of it last year, because Nathan and I were about to get married. This year, we're about to celebrate one year of marriage + 11 years together, and that is far less stressful than planning a wedding. So I've been making the most of my last Writers Week by going to the various discussions, readings, and craft talks. Yesterday, I listened to a panel of journal editors discuss what they look for and how their respective magazines operate. On Monday, I heard a literary agent talk about her role in the publishing world (and got to meet with her and discuss my book, which was enlightening. Basically, I have a lot of work ahead of me, which I knew, but still). I also read at the MFA/BFA reading, and was pleased to see how many of my students showed up to hear me. (A+'s for everybody!) (Just kidding.) Thursday night is the keynote's reading - none other than Natasha Trethewey, the current Poet Laureate of the USA. Free and open to the public, just in case you're in the area. 

Meanwhile, there are only four weeks of classes left of this semester, which is just crazy. Yesterday I registered for the spring semester - thesis hours and one fiction writing workshop which, based on the professor and all the great writers who have signed up, will be amazing. Registration is usually my favorite day (seriously - this is probably why I keep going back to school) but this time it was bittersweet. It'll be my last semester of school for a long, long time, and even though I'm looking forward to once again earning a livable wage, I will desperately miss being a student. Better make these last four weeks + four months count. 

That's enough rambling for one morning. Time to walk the dogs, eat breakfast, and get to campus before the morning craft talk. More soon. <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment