Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Cheer 2013

Homemade cake and a white Christmas!

On Sunday night, I flew to Long Island, to spend the holidays with my family. Nathan had to work, so he stayed behind. While I've grown to enjoy Christmas over the years, the holiday that we like to celebrate as a couple is New Year's Eve, and I'll be back in time for that. In the meantime, I've enjoyed hanging out with my parents and my two younger sisters, watching HGTV, drinking lots of coffee, and wearing all the new sweaters I received as Christmas gifts.

Before my sister Susan came home, my dad and I stocked up on wine. Necessary supplies when it comes to the Hennessey sisters!

For the first time in 31 years (that is, my life) we opened our gifts on Christmas Eve. My youngest sister had to work Christmas morning, and we were having dinner with our extended family. While it felt weird to sleep in and leisurely drink coffee instead of tearing wrapping paper to pieces, it wasn't too bad. That said, I prefer our usual tradition. Then again, I'm a morning person. ;) 

For our family dinner, I baked cookies, which nobody ate, even though they weren't 100% vegan. I tweeted many of the ridiculous things people said to me over the course of the day, which I'm afraid made me seem ungrateful or made my family seem excessively mean. The truth is, we are a family that likes to tease or, as my dad likes to say, "bust balls," and I was giving as much as I was getting. It was a lovely time, despite my Twitter feed.

Christmas dinner, vegetarian style.

I don't fly back to North Carolina until Sunday night, and I plan to spend the rest of my trip relaxing, reading, and talking my mom's ear off. I'll probably post again while I'm here - those New Year's resolution posts aren't going to write themselves. Until then, I hope that whatever you're doing, and whatever you celebrate, it's wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, friend! A late but very merry Christmas to you! I'm glad to hear you had a good time in New York and embraced the holiday with good cheer. I'm with you: opening presents on Christmas Day is something I enjoy. In my family, the kids get to open presents from Santa on Christmas morning, and we all open family presents later in the day. I had a special moment with my niece Lydia while she opened her stocking and it was just the two of us--it was fun to share that experience with her.

    Happy, happy almost-2014 to you! I'm also thinking about year-end reflections on goals and how to approach new goals in the shiny new year. I can't wait to read your thoughts! xoxo

    ReplyDelete