Thursday, January 30, 2014

Snow Day(s)

Today is the third day in a row that the university and most of Wilmington has screeched to a halt. As someone who grew up in New York, where 6 inches of snow would yield little more than a school delay, I can't help but be a little shocked and amused by the state of emergency in which I'm currently living. On Monday night, when it was around 50 degrees and the winter storm was still a warning, Tuesday classes were already canceled. Tuesday was cold but clear, with freezing sleet starting to fall in the late afternoon, followed by some snow that night. Obviously classes on Wednesday were canceled as well. And then, late last night, I got the email that Thursday was a no-go, too! Who knows what will happen tomorrow. I kind of hope that we're canceled again, mostly because it's supposed to be 70 degrees on Sunday. 


I know what you're thinking - especially those of you in the north. Three snow days, for what is essentially an inch or so of ice and snow? Wimps! I won't deny that I'm wimpy, especially when it comes to the cold. (My real strength is revealed when it's 105 and humid as hell, when everyone else is panting and complaining and I'm as happy as can be.) But the fact is, North Carolina is not equipped to deal with this kind of weather. We don't have things like plows or sanders. We don't have snow tires. Our houses are hardly insulated at all. Pipes are freezing and bursting all over town. I DON'T OWN A WINTER COAT. State of emergency indeed. 


And so I'm grateful for these snow days, and not just because it's given me plenty of time to read and work on my thesis and hang out with the dogs. I don't want to be on the roads right now, and I'm glad no one is forcing me to go to work. If staying home, staying safe, and doing my best to stay warm (pro tip: three pairs of socks, two pairs of pants, three shirts, a lap blanket, and a bucket of potato leek soup goes a long way) is how to deal with a weather emergency such as this, well, I'm doing just fine. 


I hope the rest of you out there are safe, taking care of yourselves and each other. <3

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos of the snow! I'm glad you're able to stay home, (try to) stay warm, and not have to get out in that. We just got around the same amount of snow and there were wrecks *everywhere*. Our schools are closed tomorrow even though the main roads are totally fine, so maybe yours will be cancelled as well :]

    ReplyDelete