Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Beach Yoga and BFFs

Left to Right: Eralda, Amy, Me.




































Late Monday night, Amy and Eralda, two of my best friends from Nacogdoches, rolled into Wilmington. They were spending spring break roadtripping across the country, with Nathan and I were their main destination. They're only here a short time, but we're making the most of it. I love living in North Carolina, but I hate being so far from the people I love, and I'm so grateful that my friends made the trip out here. (Amy and Eralda are in the essay "Om is Where the Heart Is," published over the summer at Elephant Journal, so you know I mean it when I say they are dear to me.) 



I knew that yesterday would be the only really nice day that my friends were here - high of 77, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. So we took full advantage and headed to the beach to soak up the sun. Amy owns the yoga studio that served as my second home in Texas, and she and Eralda have been experimenting with AcroYoga, a style of movement that blends yoga, acrobatics, and good old fashioned stretching. Amy taught me some basic moves and I caught on fairly quickly - in the above photo, we're doing a move called Bird, which did not feel nearly as scary as it looked. 

Left to Right: Nathan, Me, Amy.



































The best thing about having my friends here, besides having my friends here, is that I finally got to take part in Amy's handstand challenge. Each day this year, Amy does a handstand and posts it to Instagram. Each day, I look forward to seeing where she ends upside down. Most of her handstands are in Nacogdoches, and seeing that little town from her point of view makes me appreciate it all over again. Sometimes there are other people in the photos, getting in on the fun. Sometimes she themes the photos for holidays and special events. No matter how she takes them, they are always playful and beautiful, and have inspired me to work on inversion in my own practice. The photo above marks Day #69 of the challenge, and Nathan and I were honored to be a part of it. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have coffee to drink and another fun day to plan (after I teach my classes, of course). In the meantime, cheers to spring break, beach yoga, and friendship. <3

2 comments:

  1. Awww, perfect day with friends! I love the handstand photo especially--you should frame it :)

    ReplyDelete