Friday, May 09, 2014

Friday High Five

Every other Friday, I post a short list of five things currently making me smile. This is the latest installment. For past High Fives, click here.


1. Health Revolution
I've mentioned this already, but the last few months have seen a major decline in vegetables consumed and miles run. I decided that this week would mark the start of a Health Revolution of sorts, and for the last week I have been so.goddamn.healthy. Yesterday, I went for a three mile run AND made my own salad dressing FROM SCRATCH. (Recipe here -  so simple and delicious!) It feels good to get back to my old habits. Plus I'm supposed to pace my favorite ten year old in a Girls on the Run 5K exactly eight days from now, so being able to run three miles without passing out seems useful. 

2. Yoga. 
Even though I haven't been running or eating well, I have kept up with my yoga practice. Partly this is because I believe that yoga is the number one thing that has kept my back in line these last few months (I even stopped going to the chiropractor, and thanks to yoga I feel better than I have in years), and partly because there's no kind of stress that a good hot yoga class can't cure. It's not an exaggeration to say that savasana has saved my sanity this semester, especially in the midst of graduation + job applications + juggling multiple gigs + teaching. Thanks, yoga. You're a true friend. 

3. My Students. 
I've been knee deep in grading since Wednesday and there's still no end in sight. This sounds like a bad thing, but it's actually been sort of delightful. I'm impressed with the work my students have handed in, and I feel like I might have actually taught them something? Also, many of my students included little notes to me in their final papers saying how much they enjoyed the class, my "humorous comments" (what can I say - I love puns), and that they would take more classes with me if I wasn't graduating. I'm not humble bragging here - I'm actively bragging. These last three years of teaching have been so fun and rewarding, definitely the best job I've ever had, and my students were the reason I loved it so much. I'm going to miss them. 

4. Graduation...
.. is tomorrow. While I'm sad to close this chapter of my life, knowing I wouldn't change a thing about the experience is certainly gratifying. It's a comfort as I prepare myself for whatever comes next. Plus we're going out for a boozy brunch before the ceremony, so we can end this MFA the same way we started - just a tiny bit drunk. 

5. 92 Degree Days. 
It's only May 9th, and we've already had three or four 90+ degree days here in Wilmington. This makes me very, very, very happy. It's almost enough to forgive the two ice storms we suffered through this winter. Almost. 

I hope y'all are having a great week. Share the highlights in the comments and I will give you a virtual high five. As for me, I'm going to spend the rest of the morning drinking coffee and grading, because there's no way I'm graduating with these final revisions hanging over my head. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your completion of your MFA. I've been reading your blog for years back before you were just applying to schools. Kinda feel like I've been there with you - without all the hard work part. Good luck on your next chapter of life and book(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things sound stellar! I got that exact GPS watch for my husband as an "end of semester/you rock" present and he loves it! My weekend? Currently people watching at the airport in Detroit...flying to NC (winston-salem) to love on my mama and drink sweet tea for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete