Friday, May 30, 2014

Out and About


This is probably not the best time to reveal to you all that I was planning to post on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule for the rest of the summer. I'd been looking forward to the next few months as a time to focus on my book, get into a blogging rhythm, and spend every waking moment at the beach. While things have been shaping up a bit differently, I can't complain. Plus, I have a feeling the next few weeks will be all about settling in after a bumpy transition. Going from MFA student to graduate to full time freelance writer in just three weeks isn't exactly easy, but I'm managing. I'm even enjoying it. 


I want to write more about the transition to freelance, but I think I need time to make sure I have something useful and coherent to say. Long ago, I read a blogger who updated monthly on her business venture, and it was great. (A Practical Wedding? Maybe...) I think I may do something similar, especially since I feel like I'm learning a thousand new things every day. So stay tuned for that sometime in June. 


In the meantime, things are HAPPENING in the Henneward household. The house we've had our eye on for a year now will be ours by the end of July if all goes according to plan. A good friend from the program had been renting it, but she just got a job in Seattle and will be moving mid-summer. We already met with her landlady and as long as she meets our dogs and they do not embarrass us, the house should be ours. I'm really excited. The new place is smaller, which is actually a plus in my book (tiny houses FTW!) and I will have my own little office with a door. This is monumental, especially after three years of writing in the middle of the house while the dogs bark at every person that walks down our busy street. And while we'd love to buy a place, we want to pay off our credit card debt and save up a little bit of money first. I hear having money helps with the whole house buying thing, so maybe in two or three years. In the meantime, renting is fine with me. 


This is probably not the best picture to post after discussing credit card debt and lack of savings, but I'm going to do it anyway. I got a MacBook Pro! I had a MacBook for six years and I loved it, but when it died I panicked over price and got a cheap PC, which I hated from the very beginning. It always had viruses, it was slow, and Windows is the absolute worst. And since I'm planning to write for a living, I needed a laptop I could count on. I used my last check from the University to buy it, and I saved the receipt so I could write it off on my taxes. I'm typing this post on it right now, and it's safe to say I'm in love. Once you go Mac you should not, under any circumstances, attempt to go back. 


I talk a lot about balance but rarely do I feel like all aspects of my life are working in tandem. If I'm doing well at my job, I'm not writing. If I'm writing, I forget to work out. If I'm working out, I don't have time to cook decent dinners. If I'm cooking all the time, I'm probably not making any money. Things ebb and flow, of course, but a little day-to-day balance is also necessary. Right now, I feel like the job thing is finally settling into a rhythm. Two days ago I got back to daily revisions on the book. This upcoming week I hope to return to running - three times a week, three miles at a time, just to get back into the habit. Because right now, I'm focused entirely on freelance, and while it's starting to pay off, it's not sustainable. I need some balance. I'm getting there. Patience, grasshopper. 

In the meantime, it's Friday. I have a lot of work to do, but tomorrow I'm going to keep my laptop shut and head to the beach, because balance is best found by the sand and the sea. See you there?

(PS - all photos in this post were snatched from my Instagram account. Feel free to follow me there!)  

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love these posts so much. There's something so comforting about hearing about the different pieces of life that feels just like we met for coffee and are catching up. And I hear you so, so much about balance and focus and trying to do all the things we love and want to do. That is life, in a nutshell.

    I'm really happy to hear that things are going well for you, freelance-wise. That is wonderful, and your enthusiasm reminds me of why I started freelancing too. I'm working toward a better balance, too--baby steps. Baby steps are better than no steps, I decided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macs really are the best.

    I also agree that when I'm running a lot, I'm not doing something else. Or when I'm cooking daily dinners, I'm not working out or not cleaning.

    ReplyDelete