Monday, June 23, 2014

Hello, New House!

Over the weekend, we officially signed the lease on a new place, and it could not have come at a better time. I've complained about our current home in the past, and since then it has not gotten any better. While we made a lot of good memories over the last three years (I wrote a book! Nathan became a paramedic! We got married!) we're more than ready to move on. 

The new place is literally a mile away, so the move shouldn't be too hard. We'll be on a quiet street in a tucked away neighborhood, instead of a busy road. The landlady is awesome, friendly and attentive and responsible. (Our friend has lived there for the last three years and raved about her, which is reassuring.) And the house is in great shape - it has a new roof, new windows, and things are fixed as soon as - and sometimes even before! - they break. That will be a nice change. 

Infographic!

One of the most exciting things about the new place is that it's smaller than our current home. Yes, that's right. I said smaller. I know the tiny house movement is huge right now (see what I did there?) and maybe I'm just a trendy hipster, but I love tiny houses. I love the idea of keeping only the essential, of everything having a nook to call home, of having a small footprint that's easier and cheaper to maintain. While our new house isn't exactly tiny (it's 973 square feet, with a back deck and a big yard) it's one step closer. 

Wisdom.


I'll do an official tour once we move in so for now words will have to suffice. The house has a small galley style kitchen and a living room with space for kitchen table. No dining room, which I prefer. I don't need a whole room dedicated to a table - especially if it means I get an office, which I do! It has a door and looks out over the backyard, and I cannot wait to have my own space where I can keep my projects organized, my writing focused, and my freelance business running. Plus the office walls are a buttery, sunshine yellow, which is really the icing on the cake. 

There is also a good sized bedroom for me and Nathan, as well as a small guest room which will double as Nathan's office. We're going to put a futon in there instead of a guest bed, to save on space. And only one bathroom, but we're used to that and have gotten pretty good at timing. (TMI? Oh, well.) 

We're not moving until the end of July (COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS) so until then, I'll just be dreaming about tiny houses, paint colors, garden beds, and my own little office. We like all the colors in the house except for the living room, which is half yellow and half red - not our style at all. I'm thinking a light gray would be nice - kind of like this: 

Gimme those gray walls.

The one thing I keep forgetting in all my daydreaming and scheming is that we have to actually, you know, move. Pack things up, dismantle and re-mantle the chicken coop, have a come-to-Jesus with our worldly belongings. That sort of thing. This will only be our third move in nine years, so I'm nervous and excited - the novelty hasn't worn off yet. I also hope that this will be our last rental, and that when we move on in a few years it will be because we've finally saved up enough to buy our own tiny-ish house. For now, a better home, in a better neighborhood, with a better landlady, is a step in the right direction. 

Do you own, or rent? If you own, when did you buy your first home? We're in our early 30s but I feel like we do everything (grown up careers, marriage, etc) at a slower pace than most. 

15 comments:

  1. While our house can't be qualified as a tiny house by any means, it's a small house built sixty years ago with new everything. We're about to add a third kid so a level of space is necessary but I can't agree with you more. I love small houses and not having too much space to clean, maintain and spend time in. smaller houses force you to get outside more! My kids play outside more than most and since I'm a minimalist at heart I like them plating with sticks more than toys haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also spend a lot of time outside - I'd much rather have a huge yard and a small house. :)

      Delete
  2. I hate our house! But I sorta signed myself up for it when I decided to marry John. I can't wait to move. I've been having that Come to Jesus thing with my belonging since I've moved in. I have too much. First World problems, Amiriiight? ANYWAY, I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Do you have a move planned any time soon?

      Delete
  3. Own as of last month... we bought a 2 bedroom/1000 sq ft place ( not tiny more like small?) because we a. got a great deal and b. it was about the same price as our rent was / would be for a smaller and less updated apartment, actually if we wanted to rent something comparable to what we bought it would cost os 500 more a month, crazy... and I'm 31 my wife is 33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the house! That sounds ideal to me, and pretty much what we're moving into. And you and your wife are right around our age, too. I shall live vicariously through you. :)

      Delete
  4. My husband & I bought our house 4 weeks before our first child was born. I was 29, and he was 32. It's not small by any means (1700 square feet), but we now have 2 kids and we use the bonus room as my husband's office because he telecommutes 2 days/week. The thing that attracted me to our house is the yard. We have an acre and there is a creek that runs behind our house. We regularly see deer, and the blasted bunnies have eaten all our sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your yard sounds amazing! And I'm sorry to hear about the sunflowers. :)

      Delete
  5. We bought our home about a year ago (I'm 29). I don't think it's uncommon to not be a homeowner these days, and some days I wonder if it's really "worth it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely pros and cons to renting. I'm trying to focus on the pros right now, but it's hard. The grass is always greener, you know?

      Delete
  6. We rent, but we're looking to buy in another year or so. We are both really, really looking forward to owning. Right now it's that situation where we don't want to paint or do much of anything with the yard/garden situation because it's not our house and we're not going to be here for long. My husband would love to do the lawn and gardening himself -- but lawn care was part of the lease and they wouldn't give us a break on the rent if we did it ourselves, so we just let them do it. (And pardon me while I rant but the landscaping service they provide is awful -- grass gets out-of-control high and the flower beds and shrubs are a wreck!)

    Our current house is bigger than we really need, especially in the bedrooms, but we love the main living space(s). It's a cookie-cutter design in a relatively newly developed neighborhood, though, and we want to buy an older place with more character and make it our own. So I expect things to change quite a bit when we're ready to buy -- we'll be putting in a lot more work (and hopefully it will be worth it)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. We're in the same situation. We're both do-ers, especially Nathan, so reigning in his desire to FIX ALL THE THINGS (on our dime) is the most difficult part of renting.

      If all goes to plan, we may be buying at around the same time. Fingers crossed that it works out for both of us! (Though honestly we may be on a three-years-from-now plan, and I may just be in denial. Oh, well.)

      Delete
  7. It's the summer of moves, big and small! Congratulations again on the new house--how exciting. I can't wait to hear more about it, and I wish you luck with the work of moving. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And good luck to you, too. I can't wait to hear more about your big move and life in Austin!

      Delete
  8. We rent now and have for 2 years but we owned for almost 5 years. We moved in to the house we bought/built in August 2008 and I was not even 25. I have come to like smaller spaces since but I do miss a basement for storage. Or maybe I miss an attic or both. I also miss a garage deep enough for a car. Many years ago someone decided a bedroom should have a walk in closet and took space out of the garage for it. It goes over more than half way so our 2 car garage is not useable for our 1 car. It really bums me out.

    ReplyDelete