Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Booze News from Me to You

Well, the move from hell is almost over. Nearly everything is at our new home and the old place is spotless (for the first time ever, I'm pretty sure). I'll write more about this moving experience later, because it was AN EXPERIENCE, but for now I wanted to share the project that's been taking up all my time and keeping me away from my blog. 

I'm mentioned that startup I'm writing for a few times. It's called Next Glass, and it's an app that's pretty much going to change the way we drink wine and beer. Next Glass is developing a recommendation system based completely on science, which bills itself as "the Pandora of beer and wine." We have actual chemists on staff, so you know it's legit. The app doesn't launch until the fall but in the meantime, the marketing team is working on generating some buzz. That's where I come in. 

I'm one of two writers for Next Glass News, which is sort of a Buzzfeed-style blog for booze. The project itself has gone through a million transformations and daily changes in direction, but our not-so-humble goal remains the same: write posts that go viral. Obviously this is no easy feat, and since starting in May I have studied more headlines and read more listicles than in my whole life combined. (I'd rather not think about what effect this might be having on my actual writing.) We just started promoting the blog a few weeks ago - if you follow me on Twitter or we're friends on Facebook, you've probably noticed me sharing some posts. At any rate, if you're interested in alcohol, you should check out the blog. Below are some of my favorite posts from the last few weeks, collected in a handy listicle for your browsing pleasure. 

7 Posts That Will Change Your Life and Everything You Ever Thought About Alcohol and Maybe Even Your Future Especially If You Can Time Travel and If You Can't Oh Well (that Buzzfeed boot camp is really paying off!) 














Thanks for checking out my posts! And in case you were worried that I've devoted my life completely to writing for the Internet, I do have an actual short story coming out this summer, in an actual literary journal, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime, I need to get back to work!

3 comments:

  1. Love it. Can't wait til I can drink so I can have popcorn with my chardonnay and pretend I'm classier than an average Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the sweet writing gig! I don't know about their goal of writing posts that go viral all the time, but I am happy to see you getting paid to write. That is living the dream, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Yes to do's and don'ts of using social media while drinking. Can't we all use that lesson? :-)

      Delete