Saturday, July 05, 2014

Life Lately: Travel, Summer, Sports

Hello! Sorry for disappearing like that. I had every intention of blogging on a schedule, but it remained just that - an intention. So here's a quick catch up on what's new in my world. 

Spencer, North Carolina 


Last summer one of my best friends from high school and her boyfriend moved to the tiny yet charming town of Spencer, NC. Even though they were only four hours from Wilmington, we didn't get a chance to visit them until last week. It was worth the wait - we visited the North Carolina Transportation Museum, split a bottle of wine at a vineyard, toured their new house, and watched the dogs play in the backyard - including their new puppy, Speck, a brindle pit bull who was all legs and stole my heart. A short and sweet trip, and now that we've done it once, we'll probably do it again soon. Now if only the rest of my loved ones would move to North Carolina. 

Summer Loving


There are two reasons I haven't been blogging much lately. The first is the fact that it's summer, and it's hard to do anything productive when it's 96 degrees out and the beach is just a few miles away. I realized we weren't taking advantage of our beach town status, so last Tuesday I finished up my work early, then took a mid-day break to sit on the sand and swim in the waves. It was glorious, and very much needed. And last night, even though I've been sick this week with a stupid summer cold, we walked downtown and climbed a parking garage for a great view of fireworks over the Cape Fear River. I also bought my first watermelon of the season last week and have been living on it for days now. It finally feels like summer. 

Watching Sports! 


I'm not a huge sports fan, but I recently had three great sports-watching experiences. The first is that I've been going to the weekly volleyball games that Nathan plays to cheer my friends on, and I am actually watching the game (instead of simply drinking the beer). The second is that K, D, and I caught a local roller derby bout at the last minute. The Cape Fear Roller Girls are awesome, and for a solid three days I was seriously considered going to try outs. And the last is the World Cup. I watched the USA vs. Belgium game at a local bar that was packed to capacity, and the energy of the crowd + the beauty of the USA team was amazing. Also: TIM HOWARD CAN SAVE ME ANYTIME. 

Coming Soon


Things I want to write about very soon: book reviews for Flight Behavior, Ready Player One, and An Invisible Sign of My Own. A very sad beekeeping update. The Freelance Life: Month Two. Adventures in Debt Part 3928473032. And whatever other things I feel moved to ramble about on a more regular basis. I always miss this space when I neglect it for too long. It's good to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment