Monday, September 22, 2014

24 Hours in Asheville, NC

This past weekend, I spent a whopping 24 hours in Asheville. This did not include the 14 hours of driving that got us there and back, so you can imagine how productive the rest of my weekend was. Still, it was my first time in Asheville and I have to say: it was worth it. 


I was actually in Asheville for work, on behalf of the marketing team at Next Glass, the start up for which I've been blogging since May. We were tasked with attending Asheville's annual Brewgrass festival, drinking as much beer as we could, telling people about our soon-to-launch app, and getting email addresses so they can sign up. (I may have tasked myself with drinking as much beer as I could. Either way, I accomplished all my goals.) 


Even though we didn't spent much time in Asheville, it was long enough to eat two solid meals. Friday night we had a late dinner at Rosetta's Kitchen, where I gorged on peanut butter tofu, mashed potatoes, gravy, and kale. And Saturday morning, we hit Sunny Point Cafe, an adorable breakfast spot that grew their own produce, composted, and provided coffee while you waited for your table in their courtyard, which was full of sunshine and cute dogs. (Heaven, basically.) 


The festival itself was pretty fun. It got easier to approach random people after a few beers, but there was definitely a tipping point. Not for me - I was able to maintain a slight and totally professional buzz all day. But the people we were talking to got sassier and sassier, which was understandable. When piles of puke started to appear in between tents we decided it was time to wrap things up, and started the long drive home. All in all, a successful, albeit exhausting, trip.

I am very eager to go back to Asheville, especially when I can see more of the city and spend time with dear friends. That's the plan for spring break - we're going to meet Amy and David there, and eat all the food, hike all the mountains, practice all the yoga, and drink every beer I left behind. Until then, I will wait patiently while dreaming of peanut butter tofu and cool mountain air. 

4 comments:

  1. I attended UNCA 2003 - 2007 and then, since someone was going to have to pry Asheville out of my cold, dead hands, I stuck around and lived/worked there until 2012. To say that city has a special place in my heart is an understatement. It was fun to read about your quick trip -- a little taste of "home."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone I know from the midwest who has been there absolutely raves about it, so I imagine it as this magical hippy mecca. I definitely need to get there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We looooovvvveee Asheville. Especially this place: http://ashevillebrewing.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been itching to get to Asheville for a while, mainly to eat at Rosetta's Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete