Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Currently: Autumn Edition



First, I apologize for the silence on this blog these last few months. I hardly ever apologize for that sort of thing - this blog is, after all, a labor of love; I've always posted whatever, whenever, and it's worked out just fine - but I seem to be averaging once a week lately, which is an all time low for posting frequency. I don't see that changing any time soon, whether it's because I'm blogging so much for other people (the cobbler's children, etc) or because life is not exactly blog-worthy right now. Once a week will continue, at least until something really exciting happens and/or the powers that be add another hour to each day. 

In the meantime, here's what's currently keeping me busy. 

Watching: Thanks to Netflix, we just finished burning through season four of The Walking Dead, a show that never fails to raise my heart rate. (Literally. I make Nathan take my pulse during the especially scary scenes and it is pounding.) I generally hate scary things, but for some reason The Walking Dead is my one exception. I also really liked season 4. It reminded me of Lost, but in a good way. 

Planning: A Thanksgiving feast! Erica is visiting for Thanksgiving and so are my parents. This will be the first time I've ever hosted my mom and dad for a holiday. I've outsourced the turkey (obviously) and I'm really looking forward to visiting with friends and family, and eating all the Tofurky and pie I can stomach. It's a holiday tradition, after all. 

Running: I haven't run regularly since, oh, spring. It was a rough summer, and I was starting a new career, and I just didn't feel like it, to be honest. In fact, exercise has been a very low priority for months now, but I'm finally making a comeback. I'm up to five miles again, and I've been going to kettlebell and doing lots of yoga, thanks to my new membership at a great studio in town. And just in time - regular exercise is best way I know to combat Seasonal Affective Disorder, which has already reared its ugly head. 

Reading: Erica's novel-in-progress, so we can workshop it while she's here. Wolf in White Van, for book club. The Sense of an Ending, which I didn't really like, thanks to the ending (how ironic). 

Meeting: New friends! About two weeks ago, I got an email from someone who's been reading my blog since 2008. She happened to be passing through Wilmington and contacted me to see if Nathan and I were available for dinner - she and her husband wanted to treat us. We were indeed free, and it ended up being a really fun and memorable evening. I often feel like I write this blog for a a handful of friends, but I can tell via my stats that there are a lot of invisible folks who read along silently. Meeting one of those people was so fun and so rewarding, and now I imagine everyone who reads my blog is just as kind, generous, and sweet as our new friends. 

Eating: Oatmeal, made with almond milk and a spoonful of peanut butter. Best breakfast ever. 

Working: Freelancing is still going well, despite the lack of monthly updates, which I have clearly abandoned. I would like to write more about being a full time freelancer (especially when it comes to budgeting, scheduling, finding gigs, etc) and I will. If there's anything you'd like to know or are curious about, ask away and I'll do my best to answer. 

Writing: My bastardized version of NaNoWriMo is still going strong. I missed two days, but I'm sure I can make them up at some point. Otherwise, I've been writing all sorts of weird, tiny, experimental things (including a bunch of scenes from the next novel I'm tentatively planning to write!) so I'm very pleased with the experience so far. Only 11 more days to go! 

So that's most of what's been going on with me. As you can see, you haven't been missing much. Now I want to know what's been going on with you. What are you doing for Thanksgiving? What's the best thing you've read recently? What should I watch on Netflix next? Tell me everything! 

2 comments:

  1. Ah, life sounds good for you these days! I'm happy to hear you have returned to running and you're already up to 5 miles. That's awesome. I TOTALLY hear you on the "starting a new career" front--I guess I didn't realize how incredibly consuming it is to make a transition of that magnitude. But now, I feel like things are hitting a pace that I can handle, and adding more rigorous exercise back into my days is not so daunting. It sounds like you are feeling the same way :-)

    Happy November, sweet friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to catch back up with you! It really is hard to keep up with blogging when life gets hectic, I totally understand!

    I'm right there with you on the Walking Dead. My favorite show right now, possibly of all time. I'm going through withdrawals already since they're on a short break!

    ReplyDelete