Thursday, December 25, 2014

Home for the Holidays


This year, we stayed home for the holidays. While I'm grateful for the opportunity to avoid the crush of holiday traffic and nightmare of December flights, I'm also a bit bummed that we won't be getting out of town or seeing our families for Christmas - including my very own husband. Due to scheduling and the fact that people needs ambulances every day of the year, Nathan is working today. (For the record, I'm not complaining about this! I'm proud of my husband and glad he can be there for anyone who needs him, especially during the holidays. Also: time and a half.)

Because he couldn't do Christmas today, we celebrated yesterday. It was extremely low-key - presents and a mimosa in the morning, an afternoon spent darting all over town to feed the various animals I am watching, wine and a Twin Peaks marathon in the afternoon, fancy dinner for two, and FaceTime with my family to open a few more gifts. We both received some incredibly generous presents from our families, including a soup pot I've spent the last two years lusting for and a GoPro (which means 2015 will be the year of the high definition video - I hope you're ready!) While it was a very nice celebration, it turns out I am a selfish person, because despite the pleasant day and the awesome gifts, I can't help but be a little sad about missing the big family celebrations.

But that's what happens when you grow up and get jobs and acquire a zillion dollars in debt and wait too long to look at plane tickets. I just sent Nathan off to work, and so far my plans for Official Christmas include darting all over town to feed the various animals I am watching, reading a good book, working on some writing of my own, and eating all the delicious leftovers from yesterday's feast. (And by that, I mean PIE.) So really, it's going to be a pretty nice day.

I hope that wherever you are and whoever you're with, you spend today happy, satisfied, and filled to the brim. Happy holidays and merry everything!

2 comments:

  1. Happiest of holidays to you, my dear blog friend! First, I hope you will tell us all about this soup pot because now I'm dying to know more. Second, I feel your pain/resignation about this year's holiday plans. For many reasons, I chose not to go to Michigan this month, and I have very mixed feelings about that choice. I think it was the right one, but I'm bummed I didn't get to spend Christmas with the kids in my family, whom I miss very much. But I did have a lovely time visiting with Paul's parents, who are the sweetest hosts and whom I always enjoy seeing :-)

    Are you ready for 2015? For both of us, it will be our first full calendar year of freelancing! I can't tell you how much it has made me smile to know that we both launched into that lifestyle in the same year. What are the odds?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy holidays to you too! I will post about the soup pot soon - it is very sexy, for a soup pot! I'm sorry you didn't get to go to Michigan - the holidays are more complicated when you're partnered up, aren't they? Here's to a successful year as freelancers! I'm nervous about a full calendar year of this sort of existence, but also really excited to see how it shakes out. Good luck to the both of us! xoxo

      Delete