Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Best Books I Read in 2014

Photo Credit

For the last two years, I've been keeping a spreadsheet of all the books I have read. (The title of the spreadsheet is, you will be shocked to learn, "Books I Have Read.") This is perhaps the best thing I've ever done for my reading life. Not only do I keep track of title, author, and genre, but I also rate each book on a scale from 1-5, record in which month I read the book, and include a one sentence review to help jog my memory (I am really bad about remembering the majority of the books I read).

In the past 12 months, I have started (and finished) 24 books. (Two of those books were unpublished drafts written by dear friends for critique purposes, but I'm still counting them.) As always I wish I'd read more and, in 2015, plan to do just that. 

As for 2014, 2/3 of the books I read were written by women, and 3/4 of what I read was fiction (mostly novels, with a few short story collections thrown in for good measure). I was most surprised by the genre breakdown, but looking back it makes sense. I was so entrenched in writing my own novel in 2014 that I was curious/desperate to see how others had done it. A few of the books I read were for grad school or for teaching, but as I generally chose those books myself, there weren't too many duds. I was also in a monthly book club, which forced me to read things I might not have otherwise picked up, which is probably the single best reason to join a book club. (That, and an excuse to drink a lot of wine during meetings - very important.) 

Here are more details about some of the books I read and how I felt about them:

Gender Breakdown:
Books written by women: 17
Books written by men: 7

Genre Breakdown:
Novels: 16 (+1 unpublished draft)
Short story collections: 3
Nonfiction: 1 (+ 1 unpublished draft)
Poetry: 1
Graphic novel: 1

Most fun I had while reading in 2014: 
Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
The Vacationers, by Emma Straub

Most horrifying books of 2014: 
An Untamed State, by Roxane Gay
The Dinner, by Herman Koch

Most interesting book of 2014: 
Life on Mars, by Tracy K. Smith

Most disappointing books of 2014: 
The Sense of an Ending, by Julian Barnes
Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson

Best books of 2014: 
An Untamed State, by Roxane Gay
The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
(a re-read, because I was teaching it)
The Tenth of December, by George Saunders

Now it's your turn: 
What's the best book you read in 2014? What was the worst? What are you most looking forward to reading in 2015? What should I add to my to-read list? Do you have any reading goals for the New Year? I'm going to shoot for 35 books, which will ensure that reading is a priority, but not force me to devour books at such a speed that I don't have time to appreciate them.

4 comments:

  1. I love, love, love year-end book reviews! I've been doing them on my blog since 2011 and it is one of my favorite things that I do (for myself? Yes, ultimately) all year long. I'll pre-post here in your comments to tell you that my best book of 2014 was The Orenda by Joseph Boyden, and the worst was Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig. I recommend The Orenda more strongly and emphatically than any book I've recommended in the last three years--READ! IT! I shoot for 100 books/year, but that might go down in 2015 as I start a graduate writing program...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love year-end round ups of all kinds, and the book ones are my favorites too. I haven't heard of The Orenda, but I'll definitely check it out! In the meantime, I look forward to the rest of your year-end review. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, I was just thinking about my booklist for next year. The best books from this year were:

    The Shogun's Daughter (a series I somehow stumbled into the middle of)
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17286828-the-shogun-s-daughter

    Spiritual Midwifery (a cool read even if you're not on a kid track)
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32129.Spiritual_Midwifery

    Revolutionary
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17571569-revolutionary

    and The Signature of All Things
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17465453-the-signature-of-all-things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links! I read The Signature of All Things and really liked it, but it didn't make any of my mini-lists. A solid read though! I am a fan of Elizabeth Gilbert - I even liked Eat, Pray, Love! And I will check out those other books. Recommendations FTW.

      Delete