Thursday, January 15, 2015

Half Marathon Training in 2015

After a few weeks of hemming and hawing, I finally decided to sign up for the Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon. 



The main reason I wasn't going to sign up was the same reason that stops me from doing pretty much everything - money. We are serious about paying off some debt this year, and skipping this race would have been an extra credit card payment or a week's worth of groceries. But then I thought about how much I love this race, and how much fun I had running it in 2013 and then again in 2014. It's pretty much the only race I run these days, and it's local so I don't have to spend any money on travel. Plus training for a race is a great way to stay motivated and keep my feet moving. Or, as Kate so eloquently put it, create "the feeling that all my miles are adding up to something." And so: I'm registered. I'm relieved. And I can't wait to race!

As far as training goes, I'm planning to run three times a week. One long run, one day of speedwork, and then a short, fast run, tempo-style. I even splurged on a new pair of running shoes. (And by "splurged" I mean "replaced my old shoes that had holes in them." Also I saved $20 by purchasing the ugliest color in my size. Shame: I do not have any.) 

Actually, the purple/pink/neon green combo is growing on me.

As far as goals go, I'm setting a lofty one - at least for me. In 2013, my time was 1:59:31. In 2014, I finished in 2:00:20. This year, I would love to run a 1:55. (My personal record for the half is 1:58:21, which I set way back in 2009, so 1:55 will be a new PR by a lot. Go big or go home, right?)

Will I achieve this goal? I have no idea. Will I eat a giant brunch at the Dixie Grill immediately following the race? You better believe it.

Is anyone else training for a race this spring and/or hoping to set any PRs? It's been a while since I've written or really thought much about running, and I'm excited to get back into it. 

1 comment: