Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Best Gifts

This past weekend, some good friends came to visit us in Wilmington. Well, they didn't come just to visit us. I sort of kidnapped them. You see, my friend Allie (who was a bridesmaid in our wedding and is pretty much my oldest friend of all time - we met when we were twelve!) was running her first half marathon in Myrtle Beach on Valentine's Day. She lives about 5 hours from Myrtle Beach; we live just 90 minutes away. Thus I invited her and her boyfriend (also a high school friend) to stay with us. In exchange, we promised to wake with her at the ungodly hour of 3:45AM, drive her to the race, and cheer her on. It all worked out perfectly and she finished her first 13.1 with a huge smile on her face.


In addition to the race, we were able to have a really fun weekend that included mini-golf, a backyard frittata, wild dog hijinks (they brought their two pups), and a Valentine's Day magic show with a scary good mentalist. All in all, a fun and social weekend. And then, seconds after our friends went home, Nathan and I immediately retreated to our separate offices to be alone with our laptops. Being social is thrilling but exhausting, said the work-from-home introvert. 

In other news, everything else is the pretty much the same, which is probably why I haven't been writing much here. It's been very cold, but I really shouldn't complain since it's been much colder in other places. For example, here is a snippet of this week's forecast. 


Yeah. I'm done complaining now. Also: is it Sunday yet? 

The other biggest thing that happened is an annual classroom occurrence that will never get old. (Pun intended - you'll see why in a second.) I'm teaching First Year Seminar this semester, and yesterday my class got into a discussion about online dating. (Don't ask...) I mentioned that I never had to think about online dating, since I met my husband before the Internet was really a thing. We're talking pre-Myspace here. My students started doing the math. 

"How old were you when you met your husband?" one student asked. 
"Twenty," I said. 
Another student appeared confused. "How old are you now?" she asked.
"Thirty-two," I said. 

At which point my students began howling with disbelief. It appears they thought I was 25, fresh out of grad school (which is true, but to be fair it was my second rodeo). One student even said he thought I was 22, at which point I gave him an A+ for the whole semester. Listen: I am proud of my age and all the years behind me. I'll tell anyone who asks how old I am. But when you discover that a group of 18 year olds you've known for two months assumed you were six to ten years younger than you actually are, it's kind of nice. It's especially nice when you have just recently begun noticing wiry gray hairs and researching the best under eye creams. 

Speaking of aging gracefully, today is my dear husband's 34th birthday. He hates his birthday (something about not wanting to be the center of attention - I wonder what that's like?) so it will be a low key day. (Thought I do have a small surprise planned for this weekend...) In the meantime: happy birthday Nathan! I'm so glad we're growing old together.


1 comment:

  1. The cutest selfie of ALL TIME. Happy birthday, Nathan!

    ReplyDelete