Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Sunday Food Prep


I've been working full time for a week now (I know, big deal, but humor me here) and so far, I appear to be surviving. I'm still trying to settle into a routine that includes working AND writing AND exercising AND eating decent meals. On Monday I was able to hit the holy trinity by writing 1,000 words in the morning, working from 8AM to 5PM, and going to yoga in the evening. I felt unstoppable and on top of the world, but I haven't been able to do it again since. Baby steps. 

Because there is so much to do during the week, I decided to try the whole "Sunday Food Prep" thing over the weekend. I went to Trader Joe's on Saturday (and promptly thought to myself, "Where did all these people come from?!" as I am used to grocery shopping on, say, a Tuesday afternoon). On Sunday, I spent about three or four hours in the kitchen, chopping, cooking, mixing, and freezing various snacks and meals for the week. 

On the menu: vegan three bean chili and cornbread (frozen for dinners); salt and vinegar roasted chickpeas (for snacking); and mac, cheeze, and peas, made with leftover Noochy Sauce from Veganomicon (for lunches). Obviously this isn't all we're eating this week, but it was a good head start. 

While I certainly like having ready-to-go meals in my fridge and freezer, I'm not sure how I feel about spending the bulk of my Sunday in the kitchen. I think getting into the habit of maybe cooking double batches of everything and freezing half might be a better system for me. Sure, it would be a little more work in the moment, but I could slowly build up a store of extra meals instead of trying to do it all at once. I will certainly keep you updated on this most fascinating struggle. 

In the meantime, if you have any favorite vegetarian or almost-vegan meals that travel well, let me know. I prefer to bring my lunch from home because $$$, and a human being can only eat so much mac and cheeze. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah! Such a great idea. Paul and I have been slowly carving out a kitchen routine that works for us. Like you, I love the idea of being well-stocked with meals for the week, but I just don't want to spend half of my day off doing the work. It kinda defeats the purpose of having a day off, you know? But as for meals that travel well, I have been making a vegetarian version of this, and it's super good:

    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/creamy_pesto_chicken_salad_greens.html

    I substitute about 2 cups of chickpeas for the chicken, and boom! Vegetarian :-) It's really, really good--I'm basically putting into weekly rotation so we can enjoy it all spring long. I think as long as you keep it cool (in a travel bag or a fridge at work), it should be fine.

    ReplyDelete