Saturday, February 13, 2016

Right Here, Right Now


I'm trying to get away from the idea that every post I write has to be "important" or "enlightening." Sometimes you just want to ramble at the Internet for a few minutes, and that's perfectly okay. In that spirit, here's what I'm currently up to. 

Writing 

I just finished a draft of my New Novel this week! This accomplishment didn't feel quite as monumental as it did the first time I finished a first draft, but that's probably because now I understand how much work is still ahead of me. Still, it's nice to know I can put the book away until April, when I'll take it to the Vermont Studio Center, and work on short stories, flash fiction, and essays in the meantime. A change is as good as a rest! 

Thinking 

Who will I vote for?! I'm torn between Hillary and Bernie and go back and forth almost daily. The North Carolina primaries aren't until March 15th so I have some time to decide, but still. It's stressful, and more so because the rhetoric on both sides has become so intense. I want to shake the Democratic Party and tell them to stop acting like brats - we have TWO great candidates. We're lucky! Personally, I'll be thrilled to throw my support behind whoever gets the nomination. Until then, I'll try to tune out the haters on both sides and make the best decision I can, for me and my country. 

Planning 

My sister Susan is getting married in just over a month! It was a long engagement, which means it was also a long planning process. But! There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm getting really excited to watch my sister get married, drink all the beer, and dance the night away. The last big thing before the wedding is the bachelorette party next weekend in a super secret location. It should be a lot of fun, and I will be sure to tell you all about it when I'm back. 

Reading 

Right this second: Fortune Smiles, by Adam Johnson. I was prepared to dislike this book, because it beat out a bunch of books I loved for last year's National Book Award. Now that I'm nearing the end, however, it has won me over. The stories are sad and dark, a stark reflection of a world too often crippled by technology, history, and regret. Next up: The Sellout, for book club, per my suggestion as it is my turn to host. 

Watching 

Not much. Nathan was out of town last week, getting some special training for work, and we really only watch Netflix when we're together. This means I went a week without any television and while I missed him, I did not miss the TV. When he comes back later today, I'm looking forward to watching more of The Fall and also Jane the Virgin, which, it just occurred to me, are two wildly different shows. I recommend both. 

Eating 

Trader Joe's Corn and Wheat Tortillas. They are the perfect compromise between the delicious taste of corn and the sturdiness of wheat. I've been frying up two eggs every morning and stuffing them in these tortillas with a scoop of salsa. Best breakfast ever. 

Learning 

(TMI warning.) For Christmas, Nathan gave me a Diva Cup. This probably seems like a strange gift, but I was really excited. I'd been wanting one for a long time, but never quite worked up the courage to go for it. I finally used it for the first time, and my period will never be the same.  I may write up a full review in a few months, but just in case I never get around to it consider this a hearty endorsement. 

Listening 

Some of the folks over at Buzzfeed started a new podcast called The Tell Show. In the first episode they ask Cheryl Strayed, author of Wild, to reveal something she's never told a stranger. The result is a charming 26 minutes that made my treadmill run bearable. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Regretting

Speaking of running, months ago I signed up for the Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon, which I've run for the last few years. It's a fun race, a great course, and the start line is minutes from my house. There's just one problem: I haven't trained at all, and the race is March 20th. There's no good reason for this. I'm not being lazy - I've been going to my usual kettlebell and yoga classes, so it's not like I'm sitting on the couch, staring into space and slowly atrophying. Running just isn't doing it for me these days. I'm going to run the race, mostly because I already paid the entry fee, but I'm not exactly looking forward to it. I am, however, looking forward to my traditional post-half marathon brunch at the Dixie Benedict. Silver linings.  

Wondering

What all of you are currently up to! Tell me what you're writing, reading, watching, eating, or regretting, in a comment or on Twitter. The anticipation is killing me. 

3 comments:

  1. FUN post! My husband and I are holed inside, as the high today in MI was 12 or something ridiculous like that. I've been in a little reading slump, but recently read my first Ursula K. LeGuin book (The Lathe of Heaven). It was totally out of my reading comfort zone, which was fun. Aside from that, we're drinking good MI beer and mulled wine and waiting for summer (CAMPING!). And now... it's time for the Republican Debate Variety Show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read very little by Ursula LeGuin, but I'm really interested in her as a writer and a human. I will check out The Lathe of Heaven! I'm also waiting for summer. It can't come soon enough!

      Delete
  2. I'm currently reading _Two Old Women_ which is based on a traditional Alaska native tale about two elderly women who must rely only on themselves for survival after their tribe abandons them. I'm working on an article for a scholarly journal and had to put a short story to the side a couple of weeks ago when things got crazy; I'd like to pick it up again but I'm not sure how much I'll get done in the near future since my book copy edits are supposed to come back in about a week.

    ReplyDelete