Friday, February 19, 2016

Weekend Reads From Around The Web

I read a lot of things on the Internet. Here are the essays, articles, and interviews I liked best, just in time for the weekend!  

photo credit

What to Expect When You're Expecting the Collapse of Society, BuzzFeed

As you may or may not know, my husband has some prepper tendencies, most of which we hide in the attic. (You think I'm joking...) This profile of The Survival Mom is so good.


The literary Internet passed this essay around early last week, and it's stayed with me since I read it. I especially love the things Jeff Sharlet says about community, how it's formed and fed.

Family, Connections, And All The Things We Never Say: An Interview with Celeste Ng, Book Riot

Ng's novel, Everything I Never Told You is one of my favorites, and has been hugely influential on my current project. I loved reading about her process and about writing non-white characters.


It has been so fascinating to watch the transformation of BuzzFeed, especially over the last two or three years. They consistently publish some of the best writing on the Internet, and this article is a neat behind-the-scenes look at how those changes happened. 


I love typography. My personal favorite font is Garamond, though I'm partial to Baskerville, too. At any rate, I enjoyed this profile of Chris Costello, and not just because it gave me an excuse to reread the McSweeney's classic "I'm Comic Sans, Asshole."

BeyoncĂ© in ‘Formation’: Entertainer, Activist, Both?, New York Times

I've read approximately 300 BeyoncĂ© think pieces since 'Formation' was released. This conversation between three very smart people is one of the best and most thorough. (Hot Sauce in Her Bag, published in Eater, is a close second.)

O Adjunct, My Adjunct, The New Yorker

It's unlikely that I'll ever teach at the college level again, and this piece about the plight of adjuncts is a big reason why. I like this essay more than others (and there have been many) because it touches on the experience of students as well as teachers.

19 Writing Tips to Help You Become the Next J.K. Rowling, BuzzFeed 

I play this game, wherein I try to get myself quoted in various BuzzFeed articles. So far, I'm two for two - writing tip #4 in the above listicle is mine! And in their post 29 Amazing Literary Journals You Need To Be Reading, Ecotone comes in at #3, per my suggestion. It's a fun game and a good way to hone my digital marketing skills. (At least that's what I tell myself.)

Did you read anything great this week? Send me the link and maybe it'll make it into next week's round up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment