Tuesday, November 01, 2016

I'm With Her


It's been a long and dark election, hasn't it? If you've been reading this blog for more than five minutes, you probably know I'm a Clinton supporter. What you might not know, however, is a fact that some will find unbelievable, given the current political climate. Are you ready? Here it is: 

I like Hillary Clinton. 

Shocking, I know. Especially during an election when everyone is talking about how terrible both the candidates are, how they're voting against Trump rather than for Clinton, how "Clinton isn't perfect, but..." Maybe it's because I'm friends with a lot of Bernie supporters for whom Clinton is their second choice. Maybe it's because I live in a sexist society that makes the idea of a woman in power uncomfortable for so many people, even the liberal ones. ("I can't put my finger on it, there's just something about her, I can't don't trust her.") Maybe there are legitimate reasons to feel uneasy about Clinton, just as there are about every single person who has ever and will ever run for that office. (It's not an easy job, you know.) I understand these things. I know where people are coming from. I get it. And yet. 

I like Hillary Clinton. 

I admire her long record of public service. I think she's incredibly smart and cunning. I like that she's able to work with people on both sides of the aisle. If you're going to lead a divisive country, you have to be able to compromise, to find workable solutions, to give and to take. This isn't a liability in a president - it's a strength. 

And speaking of strength, Hillary Clinton has it in spades. As a woman, I admire how she's put up with so much shit. Her whole life has been an exercise is rising above sexism and humiliation and ignorant people - powerful and otherwise - who want to bring her down. Michelle Obama said, "When they go low, we go high," and no one has had to go higher than Hillary Clinton. Anyone who can withstand that caliber of abuse and hatred and not only ignore it but still get the work done absolutely has the fortitude to be president of the United States. 

I believe she'll be a good president. She's progressive, she'll continue the work Obama has done, she'll have the supporters of Sanders and other progressives at her heels, and she'll do the best she can to improve the lives of the middle class - families, women, children. She's experienced. She's compassionate. She's intelligent. She knows how to rock a pantsuit. 

I like Hillary Clinton, and I'm proud to cast my vote for her. 

Further reading: 

and My Default Person, by my dear friend Katie Jones, who led me to the previous article and who sparked many of the thoughts in this post. 

1 comment:

  1. AMEN and yes. I like Hillary and I've liked her since 2008 (I was a Hillary supporter who was devastated when Obama got the Democratic nomination) and she's not a "better than Trump" for me, she is a great candidate.

    ReplyDelete